A Trip To Melaka  

Posted by Jay Chua


Last Friday, on the 5th of June, my family and a 3 other families went for a short trip in Melaka. Its a 1 and a half day trip, but we get to visit quite a number of places. =) It's only a 2 hour drive from KL and I'm not the least bored because I have my iPod by my side... Haha.. Ok, reached there around 12, and then went to one of the uncle's kampung house. Kampung Hailam if I'm not wrong. He grew up there. His house was beside the beach and there is a nearby club too! He told us the story of how he grew up, what he used to do, what he likes to eat and claims that his mother's chicken rice was the best! Did not have the chance to try, sadly..  Went to Hang Tuah's grave which was nearby.. Did you know that Hang Tuah was actually a Chinese? xD

After that, we went to a place, filled with Nyonya and Baba stuffs.. It was named Jonker Street, which kind of reminds me of Petaling Street. LOL.. It's nothing like Petaling Street! The houses and shop lots there, although it looks small from the outside but when you get in, it is quite HUGE! The traditional houses were cramp but it is long. Very long indeed. After that, we filled our hungry stomachs with the famous "Chicken Rice Ball". Superbly tasty and not available in KL, sadly.. Had to queue up for it.. =) Let me tell you first, it is more like an eating trip... Haha...
We continued to explore Jonker Street and bought quite a number of souvenirs and snacks! The pineapple tarts were so delicious... xD On our way to the car, we stopped for a cendol and "Tau Kua" or also known as Tofu Rojak. Superbly delicious!! 

Then after that the kids complained that they were tired.. So, we headed to Holiday Inn to check in.. Went for a swim later.. I don't know why, but I am the eldest among the kids... Its funny really... Eldest among my siblings, cousins and now, the church's cell group kids? LOL.. God really work in funny ways... They always look up to me like a dai gor.. But I've never experienced a big bro or a big sis love before... Sad right? Nah.. Anyway, we spent around 2 hours swimming and playing a mini "water polo".. Pissed the lifeguard when we threw the ball until it hits someone else on the head.. xD Its been centuries since I last swam but I'm glad I did not lose my speed for Freestyle and Butterfly. My favourites.. =)

Moving on.. We travelled to places mostly on foot. Exercise a bit ma.. =) Went out of the hotel to search for a restaurant named "Amy", a pure Nyonya cooking restaurant. I'm surprised that there were so many Singaporeans in Melaka... I guess it is because of their hit TV series, "The Little Nyonya"... Nyonya fever... xD Finally after a 15 minutes walk, we found the place via GPS.. Tried the food there.. It was ok la.. Not what I expected.. Moderate lo.. Then we interviewed the cook, Amy, who represented Malaysia in the United Nations of Cooking.. She had been to New York many times to compete! Wish her all the best to her Nyonya cooking.. It was around 8.30p.m.  when we finished..

Next, we moved on to the boat ride, near Menara Taming Sari.. Too bad cannot get to ride on the tower.. So many people waiting to get the tickets.... Luckily, there was no queue for the boat ride. The ride was interesting as we get to see many nice things along the way(pictures below). Then we headed for desert, durian cendol! LOL.. Saw many beca around or trishaw.. We took the trishaw back to the hotel. Cannot deprive people of their income, so we give them business lo.. It is quite a nice experience! I admit I was a bit shaky when there was one part, they cycled against traffic! It is like the cars can hit you anytime... OMG... LOL.. But they are experienced riders.. So its alright.. =) Went back to hotel, all exhausted and dropped dead on the bed and slept.

Day 2. Went to A' Famosa to check out the historical sight. Climb all the way up to the fottress and saw many tombs, bullet marks on the floor and battle damaged watch towers.. =) It was very interesting to see the remnants of the fottress. Then we headed to check out a church there. Very nice as well.. Went to lunch at a beef noodles restaurant named "Tangkak".. Very nice! I think KL has one branch as well if I'm not wrong.. Later we walked to Perigi Hang Lipur that was nearby. The well was used to poison enemies according to history. Later on, we went to a kampung area to get the home made Baba and Nyonya kuih and biscuits. I have to say, there was something missing in the kuih but mostly, it is  nice. :D

Went back to hotel to check out and back to KL by 7p.m. That sums up the trip. Pictures below. Sorry there are no humans in the pictures.. I'm waiting for pictures from the uncles and aunties.. =) Holidays coming to an end.. Sad.. Should I go out? I miss tennis but coach is not free for the month... Oh well... Stay home la.. xD 
~Cheers~
Chicken Rice Ball
Jonker Street

Lemon Cincau.. Refreshing! Tried before?
Menara Taming Sari
I realised all the cell outings, past and present, a full moon is always with us.. =)

giant boat, I wonder if Noah's ark is bigger?
Boat ride
Beautiful lights




Office around A'Famosa
Remnants of the fottress


An underground tunnel or someone's grave?
Bullet marks
More bullet marks
Menara Taming Sari during the day

*This post was posted on 3.55 p.m. on 8/6/2009*

This entry was posted on 3:54 PM . You can leave a response and follow any responses to this entry through the Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom) .

0 comments